Together Everyone Achieves More
At Fleetdown Primary Academy, we are aware that some children face additional challenges in their lives outside of school. Some children are involved in the support and care of family members which places additional pressure on them at a young age. Young carers is an organisation that can support and show children that they are not alone in their caring role.
Young carers may engage in:
- Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping)
- Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs)
- Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs)
- Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions)
- Managing medication
- Looking after younger siblings
- Helping someone communicate
KYC works with schools, communities, and statutory and voluntary agencies to identify hidden young carers. Following assessment, KYC offer a range of short-term interventions including signposting, one-to-one support, in school support and workshops.
KYC also offer training and information to professionals.
Referrals to Young Carers can be made by children, parents or a range of professionals. If you feel that your child may qualify as a Young Carer and could benefit from some support, please contact Miss Wells (Senior Assistant Headteacher and Inclusion Lead) or please click on the link below to find out more information.