Together Everyone Achieves More
‘A child learns best when they have strong self-esteem, a sense of belonging and resilience.’
Children’s happiness, well-being and security is our number one priority. At Fleetdown we have a team of dedicated Nurture staff working with a range of children who need additional support. We are fortunate to have a Nurture Room in each Key Stage where small groups of children can be taught using the principals of Nurture. These include:
- Children’s learning is understood developmentally.
- The classroom offers a safe base.
- The importance of nurture for the development of wellbeing.
- Language is a vital means of communication.
- All behaviour is communication.
- The importance of transition in children’s lives.
Where needs are identified, Nurture interventions will be implemented. There are currently 2 main focus groups, one in each key stage, which take place across the school week in the morning. Afternoon Nurture intervention groups are then run with a different year group each day. These groups are reviewed regularly.
Nurture staff are available to all the children at Fleetdown through use of chatterboxes which are checked daily. Lunchtime Nurture is also provided for years 1-6 for children who may find it difficult on the playground or just need to talk.