If your child is in year 2 or below they can get free school meals. If you receive certain benefits, your child's school can also get some additional money to support their learning if you register.
Who can get them
Your child must attend a maintained school (most schools in Kent are maintained schools) or receive alternative education approved by Kent County Council.
You must receive one of these benefits to qualify:
· Income Support.
· Income Based Jobseekers Allowance.
· Child Tax Credit (not including Working Tax Credit) - if the household income is below £16,190.
· Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit.
· an income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
· support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 if you are an asylum seeker.
We may ask for proof of benefit after you apply.
Change your details
If your circumstances change you need to get in touch with Kent County Council as you may need to make a new application.
· there is a change in the benefits you receive
· your child changes school during the school year.
You do not need to re-apply when your child is moving from primary to secondary school.
Call Kent County Council on 03000 41 64 64 between 8:30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, if your circumstances have changed.